What is the Tax Sale
- If an individual or company fails to pay their tax bill within the following calendar year, the Treasurer shall make the attempt to notify the property owner in the following month of January, via certified mail and newspaper notices. For example, 2012 taxes are billed in May 2013. If any taxes are unpaid after December 2013, the property owner will be notified in January 2014.
- After being notified, if the property owner still fails to pay the remaining taxes by mid-February, then the delinquent taxes shall be auctioned off to investors, at an interest rate to be determined in a reverse-auction, bidding process. These interest rates shall compound every 6 months until the property owner pays off the investor, in full, with interest. While most interest rates will range from 3%-5%, rates may go for as high as 18%. Processing fees of over $200 may also be applied.
Please contact the
County Clerk for payoff amounts and instructions.
- If the property owner does not pay off the investor via the County Clerk in less than 3 years after the auction, the investor has the option of claiming deed to the property
Procedure: The Tax Sale will
be conducted and administered by Joe Meyer’s Real-time Auction
Management System –“RAMS”. Please contact Joe Meyer & Associates ,
located 141 St. Andrews Avenue, Edwardsville, IL 62025 by phone
618-656-5744 or fax 618-656-5094 if you have in questions regarding
“RAMS”. You or a representative must attend the sale to participate. The
order of the sale is by township. Bids may begin as high as 18%
(semi-annual rate) with the sale going to the lowest bidder. If no bid
is received, the parcel is sold to the County's trustee. Last year,
taxes on 2,462 parcels were offered for sale. The County's trustee holds
a deed auction once each year for those parcels that are not redeemed.
For dates and information, contact the office of Joseph E. Meyer, 141
St. Andrews Ave., P.O. Box 96, Edwardsville, IL 62025, Tel:
(800)248-2850, Fax: (618)656-5094.
List of Properties: A tentative listing of available properties is available approximately
two (2) weeks before the sale. A fee is charged for a printed copy at $
.15 per page after the first fifty (50) pages. There is no charge for a
disk or electronic file.
Joe Meyer & Associates , located 141 St. Andrews Avenue, Edwardsville,
IL 62025 by phone 618-656-5744 or fax 618-656-5094 for the listing.
- Advertisement: The Treasurer’s Office does not advertise for the sale. Listings of delinquent properties by township, by owner name, are published in area newspapers approximately 4-6 weeks before the sale. The sale is conducted in Parcel ID order. Also, most of these properties are paid prior to the sale.
- Foreclosure: The Treasurer’s Office does not handle this process. Contact your attorney for additional information.
Click here to Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (PDF).